Funeral Consumers Alliance of California

Hotline: 650-325-2000/209-756-2421
HomeWho We AreYour RightsPlan AheadFind Your Local Affiliate
Get InvolvedMore ResourcesCalendarNewsletterContact

Federal Trade Commission
Toll-free complaint center: 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357). 
 You can file the complaint online at
What to Do If You've Had a Problem With a Funeral Provider
First, consult the Federal Trade Commissions “Funeral Rule” to determine if the provider has broken a law. Examine the mortuary’s written contract which a member of your family signed, as this is a legally binding contract. The fine print is especially important to read.

Next, contact the provider, visit with a friend who is your witness, explain the problem, and see if the funeral director is willing to correct it or at least explain (in writing) why the charge or type of service was provided or not provided. If a resolution still can’t be reached, call your local FCA, and/or contact one of the government agencies listed below.

The Cemetery and Funeral Bureau 
As part of the California Department of Consumer Affairs, the CFB licenses, examines, and investigates complaints about funeral homes, cemeteries, crematories, and cremated remains disposal services in California.

1625 North Market Blvd., Ste. S208
 Sacramento, CA 95834
General: 916-574-7870; Complaints: 800-952-5210
The complaint form is at 

To check the status of a business regulated by the CFB, visit

Better Business Bureau
California Attorney General
To report consumer fraud, funeral insurance problems, elder abuse or patient neglect, call your county’s district attorney. The district attorney’s office also provides information about crime victim services, adult protective services, public administrator, guardian, or conservator issues.